This is a story of a Restoration

I restored this boat from April 2006 to October 2008. You will need to go to the very bottom, October 2008, to find the biginning. See blog archive on the right side.















Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Grand Finale #12 of 12

I took the boat back to the shop, put it on the floor so I could work on it easy and here are some pictures. I painted the white stripes, installed the chrome, seats, ceilings, etc.

This was on 1 October 2008





On 7 October 2008, I took it again to the lake for the pictures I needed for next years boat shows.




Next to a beautiful woman, isn’t that the most beautiful thing you have ever seen? Well, to me anyway.


My freind Randy took some of these pictures.



Movies. Launching.






Short trip around the lake.







My friend Randy is driving.





There’s your boat ride.


All three times I was at the lake, people came to see it and talk about the boat. They saw it while driving by. They were older men who remember them from their younger years or owned one. One of them was a prior owner of this boat. This is the only mahogany planked wooden boat in Southeastern Idaho.


In 2008 I spent 685 hours. Total of 2 years 6 months and 2 days. Total of 1674 hours of which 145 were spent on the engine and 88 on the trailer. If my time is worth $10 an hour as an apprentice cabinet maker, that’s $16,740. The other costs were in the thousands also.


The next boat would take me less time. But I don’t think my legs or shoulders will hold up for that much work again. I would love to do another boat, but.........

8 comments:

Heidi said...

It is a very beautiful boat and what an incredible accomplishment!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

She's beautiful. All boats are ladies, are they not?

Regardless you worked hard and it shows, the final product is amazing!

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Oh it is soooooo beautiful!!! Ok Gramps- you know what to leave me in your will :)

What a wonderful accomplishment. Such a beauty!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Wow, she looks awesome. I once refinished a piano, not nearly as much work, but alot still the same. I would not want to do it again for anything. Once was enough.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

WOW! That is incredible. I am totally blown away. It's the most beautiful boat in the whole world. And you made her with your own two hands. Unbelievable.

Priceless!!

And how was your trip? Were the kids good? Are you back home now? Did Lisa have a good time in Denver?

HIGH FIVE OLD BOAT GUY! Notice I capitalized every letter. That shows how much respect I have for you!

OldBoatGuy said...

Hey, thanks everyone, Heidi, Me, Emily, Pat, and Crash. I will write an epilog on the boat later.

I'm home. I will write a summery of my weekend at Lisa's also.

They had a wonderful time. I did also. They are good kids.

LBBlum said...

fix up ANOTHER boat! I'm exhausted just looking at the pictures of you working on THIS boat!

It is beautiful... you can tell the love that went into it.

love the boat ride :0)

nevadanista said...

Hello OBG! I keep seeing you mentioned on Crashe's blog, so I had to come over and take a look. Beautiful boat - that's an understatement! I live near Lake Tahoe and have always wanted to go to the Wooden Boat Show they have there each summer. I always seem to be out of town though. I wonder if you've ever been to it. Your boat would look beautiful on Tahoe!!! Cheers, Rachel