This is a story of a Restoration

I restored this boat from April 2006 to October 2008. You will need to go to the very bottom, October 2008, to find the biginning. See blog archive on the right side.















Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Beginning


It all started in late May of 1973. I was driving thru a small town close to my home and I saw this old wooden boat setting by a service station. I was a mechanic for a farmer out in the country, and I went to the larger town to get parts often, so I drove by this boat quite a few times. After about two weeks, I stopped and inquired about the boat. It was in poor shape. Spaces between the planks, and a small hole in the side. But he said the engine had been rebuilt 2 years ago, and ran well. I had known the man for years, he had owned it for 4 years and he would sell it for $300. I wrote him out a check on June 13, 1973 and pulled it home.

Now look at this picture, imagine the boat with out the white, just ugly brown wood. That’s the way it looked. But it did have wood covering the deck and chrome hardware. The trailer was and is pathetic.

I had two teenage sons 18 and 17 and a teenage daughter 15 still at home.. They were excited about the boat, and the boys each gave me $100, so now we were partners. I had space in the shop where I worked, so in our spare time we took the engine out, and flipped it up-side-down, and cleaned and sanded the hull, and repaired several places. Then we applied fiber glass cloth and painted it white with a red bottom. We got it in the water in late August and started having fun. It was under powered at our altitude (4500 ft.), but we still had fun. One in the boat and one water skiing. It was OK to have no observer back then.

When Christmas came, I gave my share of the boat (I had paid for all the repairs) to my sons. They used it hard thru 1977, it developed zip cracks in the fiberglass along every plank joint and started leaking. It got worse each year and they installed two bilge pumps. And they wanted "More Power", you know, Tim Taylor of "Home Improvement". So in the spring of 1978, they bought their own boat and gave the oldie back to me.

One nice day the summer of 1978, I took my 20 year old daughter and her girlfriends water skiing. After the picnic, which lasted too long, the boat had water above the floor boards. The bilge pumps had failed! The girls started bailing water and I removed the seats to reduce weight. Then I got it started and slowly the self bailer removed the water. We took it home and I put it in the shed, and there it sat for 28 years.

I tried to sell it several times, with no takers. In 1982 I pulled it out and did some work on it, hoping I could get it ready so I could teach my youngest daughter, now 13, to water ski. I removed the deck wood and did some patching, but the loss of my job put the boat back in the shed. It never saw the light of day again until February of 2006.

I was now retired, and I wanted to clean things up and sell the boat. I went on the internet and did some research, and found out that this Gar Wood boat was rare. Out of about 3000 built from 1921 thru 1947, only 300 have survived. You have all heard of the name of Chris Craft, there are thousands of Chris Craft boats out there.


So I found a boat restoration company in Ohio, sent him pictures, and he replied that the boat was worth $1000 to $2000 as a "pattern" boat. You take a plank off and use it for a pattern for a new plank. He said he would restore it for $50,000 to $60,000! But suggested I could buy a good one for $25,000. I checked prices of wood and other materials and I figured I could restore it for $10,000. Of course my labor would be free. I bought the Bible of boat restoring, "How To Restore Your Wooden Runabout" by Don Danenberg and started the project.


I removed the first screw on 15 April 2006 (the first of 3500), rented a shop from my neighbor next door and moved the boat in on 29 April 2006 and started to work. No, not work, but play. I have had so much fun on this project. I could hardly wait to get started each morning.

Now, my profession is in the automotive mechanical world. Forty-three years. But I have learned to do wiring, plumbing, I even built our garage and other buildings and many wood projects for my wife. But I am not a cabinet maker, and that is what this boat was going to be like. I had to buy many special tools. I already had a nice radial arm saw, but I needed a router, table saw, band saw, planner, etc. I spent $3,000 on tools over the next 12 months!

See you later.

5 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

You know I spent a year in therapy because you never taught me to water ski! I BLAME you and will be sending you the therapist's bill.

JOKING! That's a joke, people!

:cues laugh track:

OldBoatGuy said...

Yes, and I beat myself up every time I think about it. That and the hikes I never took you on. But you turned out super despite me. Can I make it up to you by teaching your kids? It will be so much fun next summer.

The boat is all finished, folks. This is like "Survivor" the episodes are all all over by the time we see it on TV.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Cherubi. That's what the verifier says.

Boat guy, you don't know what the verifier is do you?

Your funny farmer will teach you. She taught me everything.

Hey, this is great therapy for both of you. See what I mean about the life lessons!

OldBoatGuy said...

Yea Crash, she teaches me alot all the time. It was a real challenge to keep ahead of that kid when she was growing up. She made me promise to NOT praise her on these blogs.....but....I'll keep my promise.

Does that mean that I am a cherub? or you? HeHe Isn't a cherubi plural for ghost?

There wasn't a verifier on this post. I wonder why. Grandpa Arlon

Beth Durtschi Moore said...

Hi Uncle Dick,

This is your niece Beth. I'm glad Peggy forwarded me your blog. It has been a lot of fun going through it and seeing the pics and reading your comments.

I'm glad you have such a fun, rewarding hobby. But what are you going to do now that you say that you are finished???

Well, it was nice seeing you so many times this year even though funerals aren't always the way you want to see people, but in these cases with Aunt Hope and Uncle Dee having both lived full, rewarding lives, it's not so sad.

Take care.